Democratic Socialists of America Fort Collins (DSAFC) is a local chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America, the largest socialist organization in the US. The DSA is a national political organization run democratically by members that seeks to build a mass movement and transfer power from the ruling elite to the working class, and gain freedom and democratic control over all aspects of society. With direct, grassroots action, we are working to make democratic socialism a reality in Fort Collins, the nation and the world.
Our chapter has several active campaigns:
- Medicare For All - In our fight for universal healthcare for everyone, we host educational ‘What is M4A?’ events and panel discussions, participate in local parades, and table at community events. We’re also working to get a M4A resolution passed by Fort Collins City Council.
- Labor - The Labor Organizing Committee works to support existing unions, organize new unions and fight for workers rights across Northern Colorado. We are currently focused on campaigns to pass the Protecting the Right to Organize or PRO Act and support workers in their struggle to organize new unions. Join us and lets build a strong, militant working class together.
- Education - We host educational meetings on a variety of social and political topics from a leftist point of view. Meetings include presentations by DSAFC members and outside guests, documentary viewings, and group readings.
- Food Justice - The current distribution of food leaves many in our community without access to healthy, nutritious meals and results in significant food waste. We prepare and serve food to our community members every third Saturday of the month at the Fort Collins Mennonite Fellowship and support Food Not Bombs‘ weekly meal.
- Elections - We work to fight for justice and build working-class political power through electoral means by researching, endorsing, and supporting candidates, promoting legislation, and encouraging involvement in the electoral political process at the local, state, and national level.
Check out our calendar, or contact us if you’re interested in getting involved!